गुरुवार, सितंबर 10, 2009

My Life - Part III

Continued...

it was a wait worth. You know the feeling? It is like you want no one to know about your affair and still you want to shout at top of your voice to let the whole world know about your love. I loved that feeling in a way. This went on for few months (4 months to be precise). Paro tried to keep her head for her studies and exams but I guess after February, she was all thinking about me. (I can just guess how she felt, even today she does not share her feeling and that has been one of my greatest complain to her).

Once her exams were over, we were more like free birds. In fact even before her exams got over, I started planning about breaking the news at our home. I had already started "leaking" news at my home. I took my mom and dad to confidence. One of the days, I took her to my place to meet my parents. Dad liked her. Mom had her reservations. Dad being astrologer asked for her horoscope. Paro did not have one but we had her birth date and other details. Once dad had compared horoscope, he managed to convince Mom. Mom was OK after that but the biggest task was to break the news at Paro's parents and "guardians".

I went to Baroda to talk to my Uncle. My dad had Parkinson and he could not do much so I had to take help from one of my uncle. I started pressing Paro to break the news at her place but she was too scared to do that. In the mean time, her parents and guardians arranged a meeting with one of the suitable match for her. She came to work next day all crying and not able to talk to me as if she did something wrong. We had a good discussion on the subject. I tried explaining her that she needs to make up her mind and share information as home before it is too late. This was question of our future. Damn! I could not let her slip away from me. I had enough loss for once in past and I did not want to repeat it. It that would happen, I will die for sure. At her place her uncle was the person who was kind of decision maker for her family. So I decided to break the news to him first. As mentioned earlier, Shamita, Paro's cousin sister was working in my office. So the first thing I did was to take her in confidence. I mentioned the whole thing to her without stating anybody's name and asked for help. She was all excited to help without knowing. So I told her how she should approach the person she is going to talk. She was all ready. Finally, I took her to her place and slowly told her she needs to speak to her father. That was kind of cruel joke to her but it was question of my future. I had to be little smart here. She was all scared to talk to her father. I said, I am here, speak to him. If he blasts, I will handle it.

The talk went fine, actually better than I had expected. I just had to pitch in here and there. Paro's uncle knew me for a while as I use to go to drop Paro at their place for a while. He was just concerned that what do I hold in future for their daughter. Before that we had to break the news to Paro's parents. Her father was paralytic. We decided to break the news to her parents same evening. So I dropped her to her place and helped her gain her confidence.

I was anxiously waiting to know what happened. Paro went home and wrote down everything on a paper and gave the letter to her mom. Once her Mom read the letter, it was kind of all-hell-broke-loose. They both cried all night and Paro was like all shaky in the morning. When she came to office, her eyes were swollen and she was trembling.

I consoled her and tried giving some more confidence to her. After a day of going back and forth, her mom agreed to visit our place.

June 13th 1993 was the date when they came to my place. To see my economic background and to make sure their daughter will be in a decent place once she marries to me. It was to pleasure to meet them first time and show them around. They felt very comfortable once they visited our place and met my parents. We had engagement ceremony immediately.

We were from different community, caste and mother tongue and that is was so much ruckus around our getting together. Being with my parents with most of the time, I wanted to marry a girl who respects my parents and take care of them as her own. Paro was one I thought will be a good match for me.

This was union of two families. We all were so happy. And guess what, from next day, Paro started getting me lunch from home for me.